Sunday, November 14, 2010

Finding Something New


It's been awhile since I became obsessed with a new show. And by new, I mean one that's already been on the air and other people already love and I find on DVD. First it was Mad Men and then Glee and now, Being Erica. I just started watching Season One yesterday, and I've already watched seven episodes. Yep. I'm obsessed.

One of the really great things about this show is not the story (but that's awesome) or the characters (fantastic) but that it's Canadian. That's right. We can create great TV shows! :) It's so cool to see Canadian things on TV, like the Macs on the corner, or Erica carrying an LCBO bag, or her and her friends attending U of T. I never got into Degrassi (either the old school reruns or the New Generation) and there haven't really been any other Canadian television shows that seemed interesting to me. The main reason I never picked up Being Erica when it started is that I was in school and just didn't have the time to watch something new, but boy am I glad that I'm watching it now.

For anyone who doesn't know what this show is about, here's a bit of background info:

Erica is a 32 year old woman, living in Toronto, single, and recently fired. Obviously, she's not very happy with her life. Then she meets Dr. Tom, a therapist of sorts. He's able to send her back in time to redo certain parts of her life.

I know that sounds kinda trippy, but it's done in such a way that it seems totally normal. It's also hilarious to see her back in time...like when she goes back to high school in 1992 (they mention the Blue Jays winning the World Series, totally cool) or when she's in college a few years later and recites "Hit Me Baby One More Time" in her poetry class (her prof loved it).

Anyways, I just needed to share my new love with the online world. Trust me, it's a great show and well worth a blog post or two :)

3 comments:

  1. You have a knack for making things that I had already heard of and basically dismissed as uninteresting seem much more appealing.
    When you're planning events in future make sure you write the copy for them yourself, you have a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thanks Thomas! I actually think you might get a kick out of "Being Erica" It's smart, but funny. Very clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check it out! I'm usually leery of shows with time travel as a premise since it's sooo seldom done well lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!