Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Just Finished: What's Your Number?


I'm baaaack! Finally, here's a real post for you all. Being busy, going on a mini vacation, and being sick can really throw a wrench in things. I hope to have a few more blog posts coming up over the weekend. Then I'm away at a conference for the beginning of next week! Sometime soon I'll get back to a more regular schedule...promise! :)

I was sent What's Your Number? by Karyn Bosnak by Random House UK (thanks!). For those who only know the book from the movie adaptation (like myself) this book was actually published about five years ago under the title 20 Times a Lady.

Let's get right into it with the synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:


How many men does it take to find true love?

Delilah Darling's magic number was supposed to be twenty. She always thought she'd find the perfect guy by the time she'd slept with twenty of them. But when she wakes up naked in her disgusting boss's bed after a drunken night out, she's filled with regret — and realizes she's hit her self-imposed limit. Unwilling to up her number but unable to imagine a life of celibacy, Delilah does what any girl in her situation would do: she tracks down every man she's ever slept with in a last-ditch effort to make it work with one of them.

A hilarious romp through Delilah's past loves, 20 Times a Lady proves that in the end, numbers don't matter. True love will come when you're open and ready to accept it.
I have to admit, I didn't love this book. I really wanted to but there was something about Delilah that just didn't sit well with me. She was much too flighty and...well, honestly, annoying. I kept having this feeling that I knew we would never be able to be friends...you know, if she was real and we ever met. That being said, I know lots of people would find her hilarious and I don't want my opinion of her to sway any one else's decision. I do love that she really went on a journey, both literally and figuratively, in the novel. She starts off as a fairly immature woman who is obsessed with this idea that she's slept with too many men but she grows into a much more rounded person who is finally happy with herself. If that hadn't happened I don't think I would have enjoyed the book at all so I'm happy Bosnak took Delilah on such a great journey.

I haven't seen the movie adaptation of this movie yet but I can already say I'm annoyed because of Delilah's neighbour Colin, played by Chris Pine. Why am I annoyed? Because in the book Colin is Irish! I find Chris Pine attractive, don't get me wrong, but I would be much happier with an Irish guy. Swoon. I do think they were bang on by casting Anna Faris, even if Delilah is described as being a brunette. I think she will do an excellent job in the movie. I'm looking forward to watching the adaptation to see if I'm right. Has anyone watched the movie already?
Overall, I enjoyed the time spent reading What's Your Number? but I'm sure others would love it more than I did. I would still recommend it, especially to those who like Confessions of a Shopaholic. Like the synopsis says, Delilah's story is hilarious and it did have me laughing out loud at some points. I'd love to hear what others have to say about this book or the movie.

Happy reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!