Sunday, January 1, 2012

Just Finished: Small Town Christmas




First of all, happy new year! I hope you all had a great time ringing in the new year and I wish you all the best for 2012! :)

As you can see, I like to drag out the Christmas season as long as possible. I figure it's ok until after New Year's...makes sense, right? That's at least what I'm telling myself :) I had Small Town Christmas on my Kobo and I just couldn't let the season go by without diving in. So yesterday, amidst New Year's Eve celebrations (which were quite tame but enjoyable), I finished the collection.

This collection had three short stories - emphasis on short. The whole book is not even 150 pages so I flew through it. I'm not a huge short story person to begin with so these seemingly even shorter stories didn't thrill me as much as I hoped. They were quick and didn't really give me a lot of detail. They were, however, Christmassy. So they at least had that going for it.

I just finished Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series (read my review here) so I could easily recall the featured characters in the first short story, "Kissing Santa Claus". It was just like the three full length novels - sweet and predictable in a good way. It was ridiculously short though and I barely had time to dive back into Lucky Harbor before I finished the story. It was nice to see how Logan's life turned out though.

I hadn't heard of Hope Ramsay or Katie Lane before reading this collection. Both of their stories were very sweet but didn't give me much insight into what their other works might be like. I won't hold that against them and if I ever come across something by either author I will definitely give it a try.

I really liked the idea of this collection - Christmas in a small town. That's probably because I'm a small town girl through and through, even if the town I grew up in is probably a bit larger than Lucky Harbor, Last Chance, or Bramble. I can easily imagine the small town charm and what it would be like during the holidays.

Overall, this was a quick read that gave me a good last hit of Christmas romance. If this one happens to come across your path, I say give it a shot but it definitely could have used another story or slightly longer ones. Small Town Christmas made me smile and that's usually all I ask for with my Christmas stories. Mission accomplished :)

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!