Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Good Beach Reads



Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created this feature because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature. This week's list contains ten books I think would be great beach reads. I chose some of them because they take place at the beach, some because the story occurs during the summer, and others because they feature traveling. It's an interesting compilation and I hope some others' favourites are on here as well - and that you might find a new favourite! Don't forget to check out their blog for a full list of everyone participating.

1. Anything by Sarah Dessen
Almost all of her books take place in Colby - a sweet little beach town that I'd love to visit. Or maybe all of them do...can't quite remember. I've been reading her books for so long it's hard to keep track! My favourites are This Lullaby and Along for the Ride.

2. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares
Friends, summer, traveling pants. Need I say more?

3. Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Along the same lines as the Sisterhood, this series follows three unlikely friends as they deal with boys, parents, summer jobs, and life in general while spending the summer on a peach farm in Georgia.

4. The Queen of Babble series by Meg Cabot
Lizzie is so hilarious and this is a light hearted and excellent series that's great for the beach.

5. What Stays in Vegas by Beth Labonte
I read this one while on a cruise and I thought it was a perfect time to be reading it. Therefore, I think it would work well for a beach read!

6. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
I loved this book (and the sequel) and Ginny's traveling story lends itself well to the beach!

7. Spin by Catherine McKenzie
The main character, a journalist, goes undercover at a rehab facility to get the scoop on a celebrity. A fabulous book!

8. Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
I love this movie and I really enjoyed getting the chance to read this book. It's so much more insightful and the love Mayes and her husband have of Italy really comes through the pages.

9. Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell
This is probably the best way to bring TV to the beach.

10. The Bride Quartet series by Nora Roberts
Roberts' books are always light and this series features four friends who have a wedding planning company so it takes place predominantly in the summer. I loved them and think they'd be perfect for poolside!


What books do you think make great beach reads?

Happy reading :)

5 comments:

  1. At last someone mentioned The Tuscan Sun book. :) Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think I've ever come across someone who's read that one. I adore the movie and just finally read the book last summer :)

      Delete
  2. I need to read the sequel to 13 Little Blue Envelopes! Have you read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour? My favorite summer road trip book-v. cute! Here are my picks http://wp.me/pzUn5-11S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read the sequel! I liked it but I kind of forgot what had happened in the first one. Reread the first before if you can! I haven't heard of that one but I'll check it out! Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic list! I LOVE Under the Tuscan Sun. New follower via GFC. Would love for you to stop by to check out my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!