Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I Haven't Finished



Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created it because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature. 

This week's list is all about the series that we haven't finished. I'm the kind of person who usually always finishes a series so I didn't know how easy it would be to come up with ten that I hadn't finished. As it turns out, there are a few (yes, ten) that I haven't finished! 

Don't forget to check out their blog for a full list of everyone participating.

In no particular order...

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
Yep. Haven't finished this one. I read The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring way back when I was in high school and I haven't really had any desire to finish the other two. Not too sure why as I remember enjoying the books and I usually like fantasy. 

Heroes of Olympus - Rick Riordan
I'm cheating a bit here as I haven't even technically started this series. This is the same world as in the Percy Jackson series but different characters and, I think, it takes place a few years after the last Percy book. I've been waiting for all of them to be released before diving in because I don't want to wait!

Katie Chandler - Shanna Swendson
I adored Enchanted Inc. and the four books that followed. The last book in the series came out in 2008 and I was so sad as I felt like there was more to come. Cue major excitement when I learned that Much Ado About Magic, the next book in the series, has been released! Can't wait to dive in.

Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Yet another fantasy series that I enjoyed but just never got around to finishing. I read the first few when I was in elementary school and then stopped reading them. I'm just now realizing that it may have been due to Harry Potter becoming popular...

Stephanie Plum - Janet Evanovich
Technically I'm just behind one book on this series. And it's not because I dislike it (though they're really not literary masterpieces by any means). It has more to do with the fact that I don't want to buy these books and I haven't gotten around to requesting it from my library nor have I snagged my best friend's mom's copy (a little more difficult now that she's over two hours away from me). I'll get around to it one of these days.

The Mediator - Meg Cabot
This was a series that I really enjoyed when I was in high school. I think I stopped reading them just because I grew out of it. A really enjoyable series though and, if I remember correctly, they've now been rereleased with new (and better) covers so teens now can get into them. Tell your resident teenager to read these ones!

Gossip Girl - Cecily von Ziegesar
This is another series that I grew out of. My sister borrowed the first few from a friend when I was in high school (judging from the release date I would have been in grade 10) and we devoured them during the summer. Then...I just stopped reading them. And no, I haven't watched the TV show.

Georgia Nicholson - Louise Rennison
Oh, Georgia. I freaking loved her when I was in high school. One of my best friend's, her sister, and I read every single one of these books and would often shout out the most ridiculous things because of the series. In fact, I was just at a bachelorette party the other weekend and busted out the phrase "cosmic horn." Obviously we haven't matured in 10 years :) Another series I'd highly recommend to teen girls. Now, to find the last couple of books I never read...

The Princess Diaries - Meg Cabot
Yet another series I got a bit too old for (I know you're never too old to read YA but when the final books in a series come out when you're in university and busy reading textbooks and books geared to your age group these ones kind of fall by the wayside). I love love love the movie and, quite honestly, never loved the books as much. Probably another reason I never finished it, even though I believe my sister owns every book.

The Wolves of Mercy Falls - Maggie Stiefvater
Finally, a series that I didn't finish because I just plain disliked it. Actually, I never even finished the first book, Shiver, that's how much I didn't like it. And I only just found out that the series is called The Wolves of Mercy Falls. How's that for not caring?


Are there any series that you haven't finished? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading :)

3 comments:

  1. Shiver is def a distinct flavor, and I didnt LOVE the characters, but I love Maggie's writing! Have you read any of her other books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't. Part of me was just so turned off (I was too old to be reading about the teens in Shiver) so I haven't tested out her others. I'm not a huge YA reader anyway so that's part of it too.

      Delete
  2. I feel bad, I could come up with a Top 20 of series I didn't finish because I disliked them. After writing this post, I feel like a serial quitter :) My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!