Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Travel Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created it because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is full of books that feature travel in some way. I left out a couple of the obvious titles (Anna and the French Kiss and Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes) because I knew they'd be on several lists and I wanted to feature other titles that some people may not have heard about. I hope you'll find some new reads! Enjoy :)

Don't forget to check out their blog for a full list of everyone participating this week!


The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Ann Brashares
Greece tends to feature at least once in each book and there are other road trips and such usually featured.

A Scottish Ferry Tale/Scotland by Starlight - Nancy Volkers
Cassie decides to go on a trip to Scotland to visit her boyfriend but ends up getting dumped. She takes a ferry to an island and finds love there. 

The Dressmaker - Kate Alcott
Talk about a trip...this book starts off with the voyage on the Titanic. 

All at Sea - Heather Wardell and The Perfect Man - Sheila O'Flanagan
Both of these (excellent) books feature cruises.


Swimming at Night - Lucy Clarke
Katie finds out that her sister has died while traveling abroad in Bali. She decides to retrace her sister's steps to see what really happened. It's not a fun travel book but it's an excellent read.

Stuck on You - Heather Thurmeier
This book features a type of Amazing Race event based in New York. So much fun.

All Roads Lead to Austen - Amy Elizabeth Smith and Under the Tuscan Sun - Frances Mayes
These are two good travel memoirs. I liked the Austen one (which takes place in Latin America) because it worked in some research as well but I also liked seeing exactly what Mayes' life was like (since it's different than the movie!)

Arranged - Catherine McKenzie
Anne decides to take the plunge and goes on an all inclusive trip to Mexico...for an arranged marriage. This is one of my favourite books. 

3 comments:

  1. Traveling Pants made my list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab list! I haven't read any of them, but they look intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! The only book I've read is the Travelling Pants book, but I'd love to read Under the Tuscan Sun and All Roads Lead to Austen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!