Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Where Did THAT Name Come From?


Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created it because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature.

Do you sometimes wonder how author's come up with their characters' names? I always do. Especially when the names are...shall we say...a little unconventional. This week's list is all about character names we love or that we find unusual. I've done a sort of combo list...mostly they're all memorable names but some I really like and others are very WTF. What character's names do you like or find really odd? Links lead to my reviews, where applicable.

Don't forget to check out their blog for a full list of everyone participating this week!


Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling
The names are all a little odd but they're awesome. I also really like that there are stories behind some characters' names (Sirius, for example). There are also some names that I love (Luna, George, James...oh, probably more).

Hunger Games Series - Suzanne Collins
Katniss, Peeta, Primrose...yeah, theses names are a little out there!

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins
Cricket and Calliope. Enough said.

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
We meet the main character as Cath but we find out later that her name is actually Cather. Her sister is Wren. They tell their friend, when he wonders where the names came from, that their mom didn't realize she was having twins and didn't feel like coming up with another name. Hint: Say the girls' names together and you'll see what name their mom had chosen!

Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry
At first you really think Echo's name is bizarre (and Noah actually makes fun of it) but then you find out that she's named after a myth, as was her brother (I can't remember it, though! Curses.). I'm really glad we got the backstory because it made it a little less WTF.


This Lullaby - Sarah Dessen
For some reason, Remy's name sticks out for me. I like it because it's a little different but it's not so different that you'd really wonder what her parents were thinking. Honourable mentions from other Dessen books: Auden/Eli from Along for the Ride, Ruby from Lock and Key, Annabel from Just Listen, Scarlett from Someone Like You.

Sweet Thing - Renee Carlino
I just really like Mia's name!

Life After Life - Kate Atkinson
Ursula is another name that has a story - and isn't necessarily as odd since she was born (over and over again) in the early 1900s (can't remember the exact year!). Her mother picked it because it means 'little bear'.

Where We Belong - Emily Giffin
I really wonder where Giffin came up with Kirby.

Go Small or Go Home - Heather Wardell
Forrest is one of my favourite guys that Heather has written...maybe even one of my favourites in all the books I've read. I admit that it has a lot to do with the fact that he's a pro hockey player (hello, I am Canadian) but he's a great guy. But where did his name come from?

3 comments:

  1. I love your list! And yes even though Echo's name is really unusual, I think the name just fits her so well!

    Our List

    Doris @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely know how you feel, I always wonder how authors come up with unique names!!!

    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list. Believe it or not, I actually know a girl named Kirby. :) She's my friend's roommate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!