Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Favourites with Samantha Stroh Bailey


I started this "favourites" feature because I wanted a way for readers to get to know the authors attending BookBuzz Toronto, an event I'm helping with. I hope you enjoy learning a little more about these amazing women and I hope you can attend the event! Learn more about BookBuzz Toronto here.

Today is the last favourites interview! I'm ending with my other co-organizer of the event, the fabulous Samantha Stroh Bailey. I loved her novel Finding Lucas and was so excited to meet her when we started planning this event. When I finally did get to meet her we laughed at how extreme our height difference is (I tower over her!) but the height doesn't matter when you're sitting down, drinking cocktails, and chatting about books! I'm so excited to see her again this week for the event! It's just a couple days away now...will you be there?

About Samantha...
Co-founder of BookBuzz, Samantha Stroh Bailey has been a writer ever since she could pick up a pen. In fact, she even sent her first manuscript, Freddy the Flame, to publishers when she was ten years old. Sadly, it was rejected, but a lifelong passion to write was born.
A published author and journalist, she is also a professional writer/editor and owns Perfect Pen Communications. Her work has appeared in Now Magazine, The Village Post, Oxford University Press, Abilities Magazine, Kobo Writing Life and many other publications, and she was one of Kobo Writing Life’s writers-in-residence at BEA 2013. Samantha also has a Master of Education in Applied Linguistics that looks great on her wall. Okay, in a box in her basement. She lives in Toronto with her husband and two children. Finding Lucas is her first novel.


Favourites...
Movie - One of my all-time favorite movies (and books) is The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Raw, powerful, smart and incredibly intense, the film has an unbelievable cast with Daniel Day Lewis, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin and some of the most memorable scenes ever shot.
Chick flick - Ooh, this is a hard one. I’m going to have to say Love, Actually. That scene with the little boy on the drums makes me bawl every time I see it. (Blogger Note: I love this movie! That actor is just the sweetest thing.)
Alcoholic beverage - Gin and tonic, with lemon. Never lime.
Warm beverage - Coffee, always and forever.
Junk food - Chips. Ooh, especially ketchup.
TV show - This is a toss up between Friends and Sex and the City. I could watch reruns of both shows for hours, days actually, and they both have the best and most unforgettable ensemble casts.
Author - I cannot possibly name my favorite author because there are so many I admire. But, Jennifer Weiner is my idol, and I would read a grocery list if she wrote it.
Actress - I have recently developed a serious affection for Rebel Wilson. I first saw her in Bridesmaids, and I’ve been watching Super Fun Night. I think she is clever, hilarious and very relatable.
Band - I know that this is going to convey a very different impression of me, but three of my favorite bands are Nine Inch Nails, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Sublime. I like loud and dirty sometimes. 
Pet - Oh, I miss the dogs I’ve had. I definitely want to get another one and will when my kids are old enough to help me clean up after them. They say seven; I say twelve.
Board game - Scrabble!

Connect with Samantha...
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. I love ketchup on my chips, and so many people think that's crazy! See you in TWO DAYS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to meet you, Samantha! We can devour a bag together. :)

      Delete
  2. Fun post! I saw "Love Actually" again recently and was teary-eyed at the airport scene. That kid is just the sweetest. He totally reminds me of my older son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch it again, too! Thanks for reading, Melissa!

      Delete
  3. Ketchup chips! YUM! ... and ditto that scene from Love, Actually! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!