Friday, November 8, 2013

Happy Third Blogaversary to Me!

Photo via Tnooz
Where has the time gone? It seems like just yesterday that I was writing about my second blogaversary and here we are, celebrating the third anniversary of Books Etc.

A lot has happened over the past year. Some great things, some totally awful things, some things that fall somewhere in between. The biggest thing was that I left my job at a non-profit to do an internship at Random House of Canada from January to April. It was a surreal experience and I'm really glad I did it. (In case you missed it, here's my recap post.) Then, because you can't just do one internship and expect a job, I interned at the fabulous bookish nonprofit, Project Bookmark Canada. I had an awesome time working with Executive Director Miranda Hill. (Recaps here and here.) Then, because you can't do two internships and expect a job, I settled into the life of unemployment. Sigh. I've been looking all over the place since the end of June and have yet to come up with a job. I've had six interviews, which is good, I suppose, but nothing lately. Because I'm a blogger, I wrote a post about it that will detail more about what I'm looking for and how the search has been. Of course, because of this unemployment, I don't have any goodies to give away. Once again I'll say...next year!

I think I've grown a lot as a blogger over the past year. I've been writing more bookish posts that aren't necessarily reviews and not worrying (too much) about when I post or how often I do so. I've also got a good schedule going now. I was all over the place before but now I've had to really organize myself because I have so many more review requests coming in. One thing I'm still working on is not letting NetGalley books expire. I have been pretty good about requesting but when I go to search for titles and request one, I end up requesting a bunch and they all show up at once! As much as unemployment completely sucks it has led me to be on top of my blogging. Once I read a book (and I have a lot of free time), I can get to the review right away. Silver lining, right?

I've been able to read a lot of really great books this year and I've attended SO many book events (and there are a ton more that I could have gone to but didn't because it's just too expensive to go into Toronto all the time). Not only have I attended lots of bookish events, I've also helped plan one, too! Last night was BookBuzz Toronto and I loved working on this event. I'm writing this the day before the event so I have no idea how it'll go. Stay tuned for a recap post! Another great thing about this year is that I've met lots of industry people and I'm getting more comfortable talking with them (as I realized at the blogger meet up). I'm still (slowly) working on what I want to do with my life but until then, and until I get a paying job, this blog is what's keeping me going.

I think this post now calls for a bunch of photos! Here are some of my favourite bookish moments from the past year:

1. Random House of Canada's Blogger Love event.
2. A conversation and reading with Kate Atkinson at Harbourfront.
3. Word on the Street. I finally made it!
4. Meeting Rainbow Rowell.
5. Random House of Canada blogger lunch with L. Marie Adeline.
6. Conversation with Jo Baker and viewing of Pride & Prejudice at TIFF Bell Lightbox.
7. Third Annual Ontario Blog Squad Meet-Up


1. I got to see the Random House of Canada imprint sign and offices every day for 12 weeks!
2. A lot of those days were spent mailing books to professional reviewers.
3. On my last day at RHC they let me loose in the book room and I got to take all the books I wanted. I restrained myself. 
4. With Project Bookmark Canada I went to visit Amy at Penguin. Loved seeing the office! And Amy giving me a few books wasn't bad either.
5. Sending out winnings from the Page Turner campaign.
6. I did a lot of reading for Project Bookmark. Amazing.
7. This is me at the Bookmark in Port Colborne, near where I live. Fun!


1. I won a huge City of Bones prize package from Simon and Schuster Canada. Woah!
2. I also won a lot of goodies from the Retreat by Random House The Midwife of Venice online chat.
3. All my lovely things I got after last week's blogger meet up.

1. I was SO excited to get a new bookshelf. A sign you're a true book nerd, me thinks.

2. I spent a lot of time reading outside in my backyard this summer. Glorious.

3. I had given a copy of S.E.C.R.E.T. to my boyfriend's mom and she passed it around to her friends. They loved it and sent me a card and Boston Pizza gift card in thanks.

4. My grandma and I went on a road trip in September and we each brought two books. I say my love of book is genetic!

It's been a fabulous year, friends. I'm hoping for another fantastic year of blogging. Thank you, as always, for reading. :)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Blogaversary, Kaley!! Congrats!
    You and the other ladies did an wonderful job on BookBuzz Toronto and I am so glad I got the chance to meet you!! You are even more awesome in person than you are online and I'm looking forward to another year of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happpppy blogaversary!! :) I absolutely love that we've gotten a chance to hang out more the last little while and wishing you many more years of blogging to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for three years! That's awesome!! Can't wait to see what the next year brings :D Hopefully more bookish awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogaversary! Hang in there with the job hunt! (it took me 4 internships...) You'll find something great before you know it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!