Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dewey's Read-a-Thon: Mega Post


Today's the day! If you missed my mini post about what I plan on reading for today's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon, check it out.

Be warned: This is going to be one big ol' post by the end of the day.

First up: the opening meme!
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I'm reading from St. Catharines, which is just by Niagara Falls on the Canadian side.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Definitely Isla and the Happily Ever After but I'm not sure I'm going to get to it! 
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? 
It's not so much a snack as it is an alcoholic beverages...the boyfriend and I have been waiting weeks for the pumpkin beer at a local craft brewery to be done. It finally is and we'll be having some tonight!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! 
I am very tall (6') and have a ridiculous rabbit named Tonks (you should know the reference if you're reading this blog!). I mentioned in yesterday's post that I had to work today...I am the Event and Volunteer Coordinator for the Lions Foundation of Dog Guides Canada. Finally, I'm obsessed with tea.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I've been pretty happy with how I've taken part in the last few read-a-thons. I know today is going to be different (and difficult) because I have to go into work (ew) so I'm taking it easy and just reading whatever I can. I'll be happy if I can finish one book and get started on another.

Coffee or Tea Challenge
Amanda over at the Fig and Thistle is holding a fun challenge. Would you agree with:
Quote A: “What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?” – Anthony Trollope
OR

Quote B: “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” - C.S. Lewis
I've already mentioned I'm a tea lover so I am firmly #TeamCSLewis. Part two of the challenge asks us to share pictures of us with our beverage of choice so here are a few pics of me and my favourite drink! All of these pics can be found on my Instagram if you want to follow me for tea, bunny, and book pictures! :)


Top left: taking a pic for the David's Tea #selftea contest. In the rain. Top middle: buying a tea for McHappy Day. Top right: pic with tea at work because I liked my shirt!
Bottom left: my last mug of chocolate cake tea. Bottom middle: introducing author Samantha March to Tim Hortons! Bottom right: my first Christmas Starbucks beverage last November.

Update! The read-a-thon is now approaching...er...hour 14. I think? Anyway. I've driven an hour to and from work, worked an AGM (good gracious, those things are boring), ate a delicious meal (the boyfriend made chicken pot pie), and had two and a half glasses of pumpkin beer. AND finished book number one, which is the whole point of the day. The book was If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Yes, the one that was just recently made into a movie. It was very much a The Hunger Games scenario for me - I had heard of the book but wasn't interested until I learned more about the story. I'm glad I read it even though I feel like bawling in the corner, clutching a teddy bear. I will take a brief break to drink more beer (seriously, it's like pumpkin pie in a glass), perhaps do some challenges, and then I'll dive into book two. Which I don't even think is on my kobo yet (it's a NetGalley book). Guess I better get back to it!

Mid-Event Survey: (technically later than mid but that's ok)
1. What are you reading right now?
I just finished If I Stay and I should move on to Blame it on the Mistletoe but it's not on my kobo yet.
2. How many books have you read so far?
Just the one. *shakes fist and curses at working on a Saturday*
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
Still Isla!
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
TOTALLY. Work. Work on a Saturday sucks. It's been awhile since I've had to deal with that. I have dealt with that by drinking beer. And just rolling with it. I got one book done. I am thrilled with that!
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
That I was actually able to complete a book! It's a library book too and therefore not one I must review so I don't even have to worry about my mental review backlog (guess what I'm doing tomorrow...)

Colour Cover Challenge
You know what's fun? Inspecting your bookshelf for pretty colours after yummy beer. Wishful Endings created a fun challenge...picking four books that have the same coloured cover. Here are four GREEN books! I tried to find a fourth green and red one but it just wasn't happening. :)


Book Spine Poetry:
I really need to get back into reading but the challenges are fun. And I'm lazy (I have to retrieve my kobo and cord to put my next book onto it...not well prepared, obvi). What do you think of my poem for Ticket to Anywhere's challenge?


1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I'm a first time participant and having lots of fun already. I'll be taking a break this afternoon to take my daughter to the movies so, like you, won't be reading 24-hours straight.

    Love the tea selfies :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!